Foxconn pushes supply chain to switch to 100% renewables


Foxconn pushes supply chain to switch to 100% renewables


Foxconn has pledged to reach net zero carbon emissions for its operations in Taiwan by 2030, and to support more than 100 major suppliers in switching to 100% renewable energy by 2050, according to the electronics giant’s 2021 CSR report. 

The company has been working on the deployment of green energy across its global operations in recent years. It has increased its rooftop and ground-mounted solar capacity through acquisition and on-site construction. The company said in the report that its renewable capacity totaled 260.2 MW in 2021 and it has used 483 million kWh of clean energy around the world, accounting for 5.17% of its total energy consumption. 

Hon Hai announced in April that it has signed a deal with Foxwell Power to procure 2.36 million kWh of green electricity this year for its plants in Taiwan and will increase the amount year by year, which is expected to total 70 million kWh by 2030. 

Hon Hai has vowed to bring its greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050 in a bid to curb the climate crisis. To reach the goal, the company has set several interim targets, including reducing 21% of its carbon emissions compared to 2020 level by 2025 and attaining net zero emissions for its operations in Taiwan by 2030. Within the same timeframe, the company will cut its overall annual emissions by 42%, and further lower it by 63% by 2035. 

According to Hon Hai’s medium and long-term target, it aims to decarbonize its entire supply chain by supporting more than 45 major suppliers to switch to 100% renewable energy by 2025. From 2025 to 2030, the company will push another 75 partners to convert to clean energy, with more than 100 suppliers targeted between 2030 and 2050. 

In addition to its efforts of promoting renewable energy, Hon Hai has also established an online platform and required all its suppliers to disclose their annual carbon data, including their Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions, as well as how close they would come to attain climate pledge.

LG Innotek joins RE100, with goals of going 100% renewables by 2030
Dubai to source 14% of energy from renewables by end of year

More from Renewable Energy Certificate