Tech giant Microsoft has partneredwith Potentia and GreenGate for Paintearth Wind project in Canada under a 15-year power purchase agreement (PPA).
Microsoft will purchase approximately 543 GWh of renewable energy per yearfrom the wind facility, which is in Alberta’s Paintearth County.
Microsoft Canada president Chris Barry said: “Renewable energy supply contracts like this agreement with Potentia and Greengate are key to meeting our goal of contracting 100% of our energy consumption with renewable sources by 2025.
“This agreement with Paintearth Wind is an important step in helping Microsoft deliver on our renewable energy commitments in Canada.”
Potentia Renewables, a subsidiary of Power Sustainable, owns a 75% stake in the wind farm, while Greengate Power, a privately held renewable energy company based in Calgary, Alberta, holds the remaining 25% stake.
Construction works at the site have commenced in September this year and the project is expected to come online in 2023.
Potentia Growth senior vice-president Ben Greenhouse said: “Potentia is honoured to work with Microsoft and appreciates the work that both companies put into this agreement.
“We look forward to growing our relationship with Microsoft and the community around the Paintearth Wind as we continue to grow employment and investment in Alberta’s renewable energy sector.”
In June this year, Microsoft signed a long-term renewable energy agreement with Amplus Solar for a 100-MW solar project that is under development in the Indian state of Rajasthan. The strategic alliance aims at co-innovating digital solutions that support Petronas’ decarbonization goals.